To be a member of the Registry, all you need is to:
- be between the ages of 18 and 44;
- be willing to donate to any patient in need;
- meet the medical guidelines
Steps to Join
These steps may be completed online or in person at a donor recruitment drive. All you need to do is:
- Complete a registration form with contact information, health information and a signed agreement to join the Be The Match Registry. To help you complete the form, bring along:
- Personal identification (such as a driver’s license or passport)
- Contact information for two family members or friends who would know how to reach you in the future if your contact information changes
- Give a swab of cheek cells sample to be tissue-typed. We will use the results to match you to patients.
Please also consider making a financial contribution to the Icla da Silva Foundation. The total cost to add a new member to the registry is about $100. Your generous contribution in any amount is tax-deductible and helps make it possible for others to join.
That’s it! Your tissue type is then added to the Registry.
Remember: Our focus in the community is to reach potential donors ages 18-44. Research shows that younger donors are best for patients because they provide the greatest chance for transplant success. Doctors request donors in the 18-44 age group 90 percent of the time. If you are between the ages of 45 and 60, you will not be able to join the registry at a community event. You must join the registry online.