To be a member of the Registry, you need to fill (3) criteria:
- That you are between the ages of 18 and 44
- You are committed to donate to any patient in need
- You meet certain medical guidelines
Studies show that patients receiving blood stem cells from younger donors have a better long-term survival rate. This is why the focus is on donors who are between the ages of 18-44. The safety of both the patient and donor is the biggest priority for the registry.
When you join the Be The Match Registry, you are making a commitment to:
- Keep them updated if your contact information changes, you have significant health changes or you change your mind about being a donor
- Respond quickly if you are contacted as a potential match for a patient
- Donate to any searching patient who matches you
- Be listed on the registry until your 61st birthday, unless you ask to be removed
Certain medical conditions may restrict eligibility. You will find out more information when joining the regsitry.
Join the Registry
Follow these simple steps to include yourself as a potential blood stem cell or bone marrow donor. You may save a life!
- Use the links on this website, or the code shared with you at a donor recruitment drive, to connect you to the Be The Match Registry as a new user.
- Complete the online registration form by answering some background and eligibility questions.
- You will receive a simple, do-it-yourself swab kit by mail. The kit includes everything you need to collect a sample of your cheek cells using 2 cotton swabs.
Return the kit for tissue typing. You will then be added to the Registry.
Please consider making a financial contribution to the Icla da Silva Foundation. The total cost to add a new member to the registry is about $100. Your generous contribution in any amount is tax-deductible and helps make it possible for others to join.