To be a member of the Registry, all you need is to:
- be between the ages of 18 and 44;
- be willing to donate to any patient in need;
- meet the medical guidelines
Steps to Join
The first 3 steps are completed digitally, either at work/home on a computer, or in person at a donor recruitment drive using your mobile phone or digital device. Follow these simple steps:
- Use the links on this website, or the code shared with you at a donor recruitment drive, to connect you to the Be The Match Registry as a new user.
- Set-up an account online with an email and password.
- Complete the online registration form by answering some background and eligibility questions.
- You will receive a simple, do-it-yourself tissue typing kit by mail. The kit includes everything you need to collect a sample of your cheek cells using 2 cotton swabs.
Return the kit for tissue typing. You will then be added to the Registry.
Please also consider making a financial contribution to the Icla da Silva Foundation. The total cost to add a new member to the registry is about $100. Your generous contribution in any amount is tax-deductible and helps make it possible for others to join.
That’s it! Your tissue type is then added to the Registry.
Remember: Our focus in the community is to reach potential donors ages 18-44. Research shows that younger donors are best for patients because they provide the greatest chance for transplant success. Doctors request donors in the 18-44 age group 90 percent of the time. If you are between the ages of 45 and 60, you will not be able to join the registry at a community event. You must join the registry online.